Monday, December 16, 2013

Christmas Home Tour 2013

I haven't been blogging here since the summer, because I usually blog over here.  This blog space is reserved for more family life type of blogging.  And today I am linking up with The Nester for her Christmas Tour of Homes.


I wasn't sure I should even do this, since my photos and decorations are pretty lame compared to the other homes on tour.

But, then I remembered this and this, and decided to present my humble offering.  And then there's one of my favorite Christmas songs, In the Bleak Midwinter and that verse I love:

What can I give Him, poor as I am?

If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;

If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;

Yet what I can I give Him: give my heart.

So here is our home, and heart, for you to see, along with a few easy tips; Merry Christmas!



It can be a temptation to spend money each year on decorating.  But, the last two years I
have purposed to use what we have.  Sometimes I will visit the $1 store or $1 bins to add a
few new treasures to the mix.  But mostly, I just put things together that we have.  This year
I incorporated shades of turquoise blues to match our home.  
 

An old berry container makes for a fun winter decoration.  Add a simple ribbon or twine to a
candle for a finishing look.


Choose some key phrases or scriptures to display to remind you of the reason for all your
holiday celebrating.  I choose to use "Give thanks", "Be Still", "Let it Snow", and "Merry
Christmas".  Let little hands help and keep the fragile items up high.  Don't be afraid to
display that imperfect artwork by yourself or others.  Dare to offer your handiwork as a 
blessing to others.


Bring the outside in.  I used old birds' nests for my bird figurines.  The white container was 
from a thrift store.  Birds are special to us (since we want to use a particular birds' name for 
our #5).  Choose an easy theme or fun color pattern for your decorating...this will help you
know what to include, or not include, as you deck the halls.

Keep the main thing the main thing...Jesus' birth.  Immanuel, God with us.  With ornaments,
a Nativity, or artwork; lovingly point your family and guests to the Christ of Christmas.



Most of all have fun decorating and keep it simple.  Focus on what Christmas really means- 
Jesus, salvation, family togetherness, being generous and making memories.


2 comments:

Jeannette said...

I am so glad that you took the time to take pictures, to blog, and to share your decorating. It is in no way lame. It is you, it is good stewardship of the things God has blessed you with. And I thank you for the reminder that what we have to give, is not lame, especially when we give our heart! I used to think that I was not as good a writer as many that I read about but what I have learned over the last month and a half is that God has placed an openness on my heart to share with others & for some reason, people are being drawn to read what I blog. I may not be as 'good' as others but I am me, I am what God made me, I am real and sharing with others my heart. It's what I've been sharing with our children this year, showing them that they can share their heart with others, their faith, especially as we are sharing Gabby's video, her heart for others to hear the story of God's grace, something we don't deserve, yet he still gave us much more than we could even ask for. It's amazing how God works! You sharing, & me re-reading the post about "When your offering feels lame" was a reminder that God has blessed each of us with gifts & talents & we are to use them to glorify HIM! He sees and knows your heart Katie and I hope that others that view your linked up blog are able to set aside the desire and drive to be perfect, because we are not, and just use what they have to make something that is special & meaningful to them, even on a budget. We need to do our best with what we have and I feel encouraged by your sharing! Thank you for that my friend!!! :) <3 thank you!

Marianna said...

I'm always reluctant to look through the linky links on house tours. The perfection can be overwhelming. I'm glad I took the time today to look through. I love your home, and your ideas.